ARMs national committee roles and responsibilities
The officers (chair, vice chair/editor, secretary, assistant secretary/organiser and treasurer) and national committee members are responsible for the effective administration and management of the affairs of the ARMs national committee and regional/national ARMs structures (i.e. ARMs in English regions and devolved government areas of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland).
The following are the main roles and responsibilities of ARMs elected national officers. These will be supplemented as required to ensure the effective working of PCS ARMs.
Overall responsibility for the effective running of the national committee and regional/nation ARMs structures including:
- Chairing the ARMs national committee meetings and national forum.
- Ensuring adequate funding is bid for from the NEC for ARMs to function effectively and that there is effective financial management of resources allocated to ARMs at a national and regional level. The day to day activities of ARMS will be administered by the ARMs national treasurer within the oversight of the national chair.
- Ensure effective working relationship with the ARMs FTOs and all internal PCS structures supporting ARMs activity in liaison with the ARMs national secretary.
- Ensuring effective links are maintained with PCS National Executive Committee, PCS HQ and the PCS regional hub network.
- Ensuring effective relationship with partner organisations.
- Ensuring regular links are maintained with the PCS full-time officer (national secretary) to whom the general secretary has allocated responsibility for ARMs.
- PCS delegate to the NPC national council.
In the absence of the chair at meetings of the ARMs national committee or annual forum the vice chair will deputise and chair meetings as required. Duties associated with the role of editor will include:
- Working in liaison with the national committee members allocated to support ARMs communications work
- Drafting layout and content for ‘Up in ARMs’ e-Newsletters at least quarterly and as required by the national committee.
- Liaising with the ARMs national secretary (FTO) and relevant PCS design contacts on the design and publication of e-newsletters.
- Promoting and maintaining an ARMs ‘Photo Archive’ in liaison with the ARMs national secretary for use in ARMs publications.
- Liaising with the ARMs national secretary to ensure that website content is kept up to date.
- Supporting ARMS regions that require advice and support in planning and executing their communications arrangements.
- Publicising communications best practice.
- Acting as secretary to the ARMs national committee and ensuring effective administration of reports and communications with the ARMs national committee and ARMs regions, including production of the ARMs annual report in advance of the ARMs annual forum.
- In liaison with the ARMs national secretary (FTO) ensuring reports of ARMs activity are provided to the PCS National Executive Committee and that links with the national executive committee are maintained particularly in respect of issues where the ARMs national committee is seeking a decision on any matter.
- Ensure effective working relationship with the ARMs national secretary and all internal PCS structures supporting ARMs activity in liaison with the national chair.
- Ensuring effective relationship with partner organisations in liaison with the ARMs national chair.
- Policy development (internal & external) including reporting to the national committee progress with motions passed at the ARMs annual forum.
- Providing regular reports to the ARMs national committee on NPC developments.
- Lead on ARMs annual forum organisation & arrangements as determined by the ARMs national committee.
- Work with two other allocated ARMs national committee members to propose national committee attitudes towards forum motions and suggested speakers.
- PCS delegate to the NPC national executive committee.
Work in liaison with the ARMS national secretary to manage the ARMs administrative and policy development work with particular responsibility for:
- Prompt production of action points from national xommittee meetings.
- Membership organising and recruitment.
- Political engagement and campaigning.
- Equality issues and links with other PCS equality fora.
- Acting as treasurer to the ARMs national xommittee and ensuring effective day to day financial management of resources allocated to ARMs.
- Provide at least quarterly reports to the ARMs finance committee and the ARMs national committee.
- Managing the annual ARMs regions budget bid process, preparing the ARMs annual budget bid and managing the allocation of funding to ARMs regions in liaison with the chair, finance sub-committee and national secretary (FTO).
- Producing an ARMs annual finance report and statement of accounts in advance of the ARMs annual forum.
- Assisting ARMs regions with financial queries and providing guidance on financial matters as necessary.
National committee members
ARMs national committee members will be required to take on responsibility for specific areas of activity that ARMs is involved in and wishes to develop and work as part of a team with ARMs officers with lead responsibility. These may include:
- ARMs membership organising and recruitment support.
- Support for ARMs regions and ARMs local groups.
- Delivering effective political lobbying in support of PCS campaigning objectives.
- Developing ARMs website and e-communications capability.
- Developing ARMs equality work and links with other equality fora within PCS.
- Developing ARMs active involvement in wider PCS campaign activity.
- Work with the vice chair/editor on the content of ‘Up in ARMs’, the ARMs national website pages and communications and e-communications arrangements.
- Acting as ARMs national committee liaison officer to an ARMs region where this may be required.