What is Disability History Month?
Disability History Month [DHM] runs from 22 November to 22 December each year.
It is an opportunity for PCS members to reflect on the experience and struggles of disabled people in Britain and around the world, and to celebrate and encourage individual and collective activism to challenge discrimination.
UK Disability History Month will look at artists who have been disabled, artists who have featured disabled people through a social model lens to understand the attitudes existing at different times over history towards disabled people through their portrayal in Art.
Why PCS supports Disability History Month
In the way we organise ourselves and campaign we always strive to ensure we are representing all of our members. We work with members to promote equality and tackle discrimination in the workplace, society and the wider world
Disability History Month is essential in providing information and raising awareness of the contributions that disabled people make, and also the challenges, and discrimination they have faced, and continue to face.
The theme for 2017 is “Disability and Art” looking at artists who have been disabled, artists who have featured disabled people through a social model lens and also to understand the attitudes existing at different times over history towards disabled people through their portrayal in art.
How you can get involved:
- Organise an event in your branch or workplace
- Use the DHM poster / Fact sheet and photo opportunity cards as part of your event
- Send your event pictures to email@example.com
- Check for events in your PCS region/nation
- Ask your region/nation office to help put an event together and provide you with new membership packs and materials
- Check what's going on in your local area
- Use social media #PCSDHM and get your Facebook pages full of pictures celebrating disability history month
- Send a case study to firstname.lastname@example.org (don’t worry, we can tidy it up) for our website/blog
The following materials are available for use:
- A4 Poster / Factsheet 9069-17 – “Disability History Month: Disability and Art”
- Photo opp cards 9070-17: “Challenging Perceptions / Celebrating Our Lives / Achieving Equality”
- Be inspired by works of art from blind and visually impaired artists.
Alternative formats are available.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Equality Department on 020 7801 2683. Alternatively you can email at email@example.com.