PCS Women – A Woman's Worth
Women’s History Month in the UK is celebrated during the month of March. An annual declared month highlighting the contributions of women to events in history and contemporary society,
The purpose of Women's History Month is to increase consciousness and knowledge of women's history: to take one month of the year to remember the contributions of notable and ordinary women, in hopes that it will be impossible to teach or learn history without remembering these contributions.
The PCS National Women’s Forum’s chosen theme for Women’s History Month this year is ‘PCS Women – A Woman’s Worth’, as this year marks the 50 anniversary since the introduction of the Equal Pay Act 1970. While there have been improvements in pay for women, the inequalities still exist.
This month we will celebrate our achievements for women members and look at progressing our current campaigns, such as Period Dignity.
We are looking for all branches to organise events throughout the month of March 2020, highlighting issues such as:
• Equal pay – and the 1970 the Equal Pay Act was passed, prohibiting unequal pay and working conditions between men and women
• Freedom from Sexual harassment
• Dignity at work
• Workplaces without discrimination
International Women’s Day on 8 March 2020
A global day of activity, which is held in March every year since approximately 1911, celebrates the social, cultural, economic and political achievements of women. While also marking a call for action for speeding up gender equality, PCS will celebrate the day as part of women’s history month.
The International Women’s Day twitter hashtag this year is #EachforEqual. An equal world is an enabled world. Individually, we're all responsible for our own thoughts and actions - all day, every day.
We can actively choose to challenge stereotypes, fight bias, broaden perceptions, improve situations and celebrate women's achievements.
Collectively, each one of us can help create a gender equal world.
What you can do:
- Use the photo opp cards and posters to promote International Women's Day and Women's History Month in your workplace.
- Share your photos on social media #IWD2020 #PCSWomen
- Hold an event in your office to raise awareness and show support and solidarity with women. Be visible.
- Use the posters and leaflets previously issued on sexual harassment, period dignity, WASPI, menopause in the workplace and the photo cards to promote PCS campaigns and achievements. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for electronic copies or your local PCS regional office for hard copies.
- Arrange for a collection of toiletries or sanitary products for a local women’s charity.
- Publicise PCS regional networks for women, black, disabled, LGBT+ and young members. Details are available from your local PCS regional office
Make March a celebration of our achievements and a marker for what we still want to achieve.
PCS Women – A Woman’s Worth: Dignity at work, No discrimination, Equal pay
Poster: A Woman’s Worth