The date for International Women’s Day is 8 March, the theme is Press for Progress. Whilst there have been positive gains in women’s equality, the world is still very unequal as we acknowledge the multiple discrimination and disadvantage women face. IWD celebrates the social, political and economic achievements of women while focusing attention on areas requiring further action.
Started by the Suffragettes in the early 1900's, the first International Women's Day was celebrated in 1911. International Women's Day belongs to all communities everywhere. Whether through a global conference, community gathering, classroom lesson or dinner table conversation - everyone can play a purposeful part in pressing for gender parity.
With the World Economic Forum's 2017 Global Gender Gap Report findings telling us that gender parity is over 200 years away - there has never been a more important time to keep motivated and #PressforProgress. And with global activism for women's equality fuelled by movements like #MeToo, #TimesUp, #EqualPay and more - there is a strong global momentum striving for gender parity.
And while we know that gender parity won't happen overnight, the good news is that across the world women are making positive gains day by day. Plus, there's indeed a very strong and growing global movement of advocacy, activism and support.
So we can't be complacent. Now, more than ever, there's a strong call-to-action to press forward and progress gender parity. A strong call to #PressforProgress. A strong call to motivate and unite friends, colleagues and whole communities to think, act and be gender inclusive.
What you can do:
- Use the IWD 2018 photocards and post pictures on social media #PCSIWD18
- Contact you region/nation PCS office and find out what’s planned
- Have a lunchtime event in your office, post photos, be visible
- Set up an email network of PCS women members for easy communication
- Communicate the work of the union on women’s issues through emails, newsletters, meetings or setting up social networks.
- Make sure the PCS Women’s Journal is available and distributed to all women members in your branch
- Look out for and use #PCSIWD18 and post your activities and pictures on Facebook, Twitter and to the equality email address below.
- Link up with other campaigns in your local area or support an international campaign.
- Publicise PCS regional networks for women, black, disabled, LGBT and young members. Details are available from your local PCS regional office.
So make International Women's Day YOUR day and do what you can to truly make a positive difference for women. Press for Progress
We would like you to feedback your activities and ideas for future activities.
Please send your ideas/comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org