Complain now to DWP over pension inequality

23 Jan 2018

If you’re angry at the way 50s born women have been treated over their state pension make a formal complaint to the Department for Works and Pensions.

PCS fully supports the Women Against State Pension Inequality (WASPI) campaign fighting against the unfair treatment of women born in the 1950s (on or after 6 April 1950) through an increase to their state pension age.​​ The changes were drawn up with little or no personal notice, with a faster than promised implementation and without enough time for women born in the 1950s to make alternative plans.

Thousands of women will not receive their state pension on the date they planned for, and will have to work longer than expected or could face financial hardship in retirement. Many were only told of the fact they would have to work for up to 6 years longer with just one year’s notice. Many women received no letter at all.

Many PCS members are directly affected. The public sector pay cap has effectively led to a wage cut. This makes it more difficult to plan for the future when you are already dealing with meeting everyday costs.

PCS continues to work to break the public sector pay cap and lobby government ministers though our parliamentary group.

How to make a complaint

You need to make a personal complaint to the Department of Work and Pensions for maladministration by 31 March.

The WASPI campaign has developed guidance on how you can make a formal complaint 

If the complaints are successful, the Parliamentary Ombudsman can recommend that the government restore the women who have complained to the same financial position as if the maladministration had not happened.

It may be that the ombudsman could recommend compensation for all women affected by the pension age changes, but there is no guarantee that this will happen. So, to be sure of receiving any possible future compensation, WASPI recommends that everyone affected should take action and send in their own complaint to the DWP.

What else can I do?

Share PCS:

Visit PCS social sites: