Victory for ISS members in BEIS
Facilities members carrying out security, porterage and cleaning services in BEIS offices in London took 3 days of industrial action in July this year as part of a dispute covering issues such as pay, sick absence procedures, maternity and Covid safety. That action forced ISS to negotiate and discussions have continued since.
Members voted overwhelmingly this week to accept an offer which included:
- Pay rates to increase in line with London Living Wage (1.6%) and to be backdated to 1 March 2021,
- Pay rates will rise from 1 March 2022 either in line with inflation or the LLW, whichever is higher,
- Further bonus payments of £1200 for those that worked during January–May this year,
- Removal of the one waiting day for sick pay (across some sites),
- Maternity and paternity pay to the same level as civil servants, and
- Health and safety agreements governing how the union will be consulted in relation to Covid safety but also wider H&S.
The low paid, mainly black and migrant workers have been at the forefront of keeping our offices open and safe during the pandemic. They fought hard during the dispute and have delivered a result all members should be proud of.