The Northern Regional Disability Network (NRDN) is one of the PCS equality networks. It aims to bring together disabled members from across the region co-ordinating views, sharing knowledge and raising the profile of disability issues within the workplace, with PCS, and with those affecting particular groups of disabled people.
The NRDN offers support while upholding the principle of self-determination among the equality groups within the PCS and aims to build appropriate links with other organisations of disabled people. The network meets at least three times a year and invites disabled members or those interested in disability issues to join the network.
Contacts for the Northern Regional Disability Network are:-
Deputy national representative
Terms of reference
- To bring together disabled members of PCS across the northern region to counter the isolation faced by many such members and to discuss issues of interest to those members in relation to the bargaining, campaigning and organising agenda of the union and its component parts
- To uphold the principle of self determination among the equality groups in PCS
- To co-ordinate the views of the disabled members within their area of operations and to feed back these views as required to the national disability forum
- To meet for encouragement and to share information which affects disabled members, signpost members towards sources of support and advice and keep them aware of activities and events affecting the disabled community and workers in the region
- To foster knowledge of issues affecting particular groups of disabled members, and to offer support through this to individual members and to branch and other representatives
- Identify and promote training and development opportunities for its members to improve their workplace potential and to improve opportunity for increased participation in union activities
- To support the spread of awareness of disability equality particularly with regard to the social model of disability
- To build appropriate links with other organisations of disabled people within the northern region and to identify and support suitable local/regional campaigns affecting disabled people
- Support union campaigns; prepare motions relevant to disabled members for submissions to branches and or groups as appropriate.
- Communicate information to increase knowledge of issues affecting disabled workers in relation to the bargaining, campaigning and organising agenda of the union and its component parts
- To assist in taking forward those priorities and objectives within resources
- To raise the profile of equality issues within the NEC and within PCS.
Conduct of business of the network
- The PCS Northern Disability Network will be led by at least one and no more than three co-ordinators
- We will aim to hold no fewer than two meetings per year. Further meetings may be held subject to budget considerations
- We will look to alternative routes of communication as an option to maintain contact between members of outside meetings
- The aim of the network will be to operate by consensus.