Training in the North West

PCS courses

Every PCS regional centre organises a programme of training courses for PCS representatives. In the North West the courses are non-residential and are usually held in the PCS North West Regional Centre, local colleges, such as Manchester and Wirral Met, or in workplaces.

Details of PCS courses in the region are published on our events and courses page as they are scheduled.  For more information about the content of PCS courses please visit the Learning With PCS webpages.

Further courses can be arranged to coincide with branch meetings, designed to be of short duration (1 - 3 hours). For instance organising, campaigning and representation can all be presented in modular form.

TUC courses

The TUC also provides a range of courses including training for Health & Safety reps and Union Learning representatives.

Please note that PCS will only pay reasonable Travel and Subsistence (T&S) to reps attending the following TUC courses:

  • Trade union reps stage 1
  • Health & safety stage 1
  • Union Learning Representatives stage 1

For those reps who wish to attend Stage 2 TUC courses, PCS will only pay reasonable T&S where there is a very strong business case from their branch. Branches are to send individual business cases to We are unfortunately unable to provide funding for diploma or degree courses at the present time.

TUC College Courses and information

Burnley College - Summer Term 2019

Wirral Met - Sept 2018 to Juky 2019

Time off for training

All union representatives are allowed reasonable time off to carry out their training as per the ACAS Code of Practice.

How to apply

Fill in the application form below and get it approved by your branch secretary or branch organiser before applying. Completed application forms should be sent to:

  • PCS NWRC, 3rd Floor, Jack Jones House, 1 Islington, Liverpool, L3 8EG

PCS north west course application form


Travel and subsistence expenses will only be paid as per the guidelines contained on the expenses claim form.

Claims for car usage must be authorised in advance by the regional office.

Overnight accommodation is not normally authorised. However, if the member has no other reasonable alternative, then a request will be considered. This must be discussed with the regional office prior to course attendance.

If you have any queries regarding course expenses please call the regional office on 0151 298 3900.

Completed expenses claim forms should be sent to:

  • PCS, 3rd Floor, Jack Jones House, 1 Islington, Liverpool, L3 8EG


Share PCS:

Visit PCS social sites: