PCS learning reps
As we face the toughest spending cuts in a generation, it is imperative that we support our members in campaigning for jobs, pay and conditions. It is also vital that we empower our members by encouraging skills acquisition and accreditation to enable them to progress in their current employment or obtain transferrable skills.
Learning reps have carried out the PCS learning and skills agenda for over eight years. In that time, the network has grown in terms of numbers and developmental skills. We believe that PCS learning reps are the experts in getting members back into learning, identifying skills bargaining issues and establishing progression routes for them.
PCS Scotland has achieved considerable success through the tireless work of our learning reps and supported by our full time learning organiser. As our union’s learning and skills agenda has evolved, so too has the focus of our learning reps.
PCS learning reps are involved in:
- Actively advising and encouraging members to uptake learning opportunities
- Contributing to branch and wider union priorities
- Pursuing areas of the learning and skills agenda which mainstream into union campaigns
- Engaging with employers in promoting good working practices and implementing new skills acquisition
- Maintaining PCS Scotland’s position as one of the lead unions involved in lifelong learning and skills development in Scotland.
For help in recruiting and supporting learning reps and other learning activity, please contact: