A series of brief training sessions have been developed to support work around the national campaign against the cuts.
Reps can attend any individual or a combination of the sessions that are relevant to them. Branches should prioritise reps attending the training where necessary.
Recruiting new members (1 day)
- includes planning a recruitment campaign, how to map your workplace, how to use recruitment material, practice sessions, how to handle objections and action planning.
Campaigning (1 day)
- Includes why we campaign, planning campaigns and campaigning techniques.
Media skills (1 day)
- Includes practical skills when dealing with press, TV and radio.
Public speaking (1/2 day)
- Helps to prepare and practice speaking at meetings and public events.
How to develop town/city committees (1 hour)
- Building links with other PCS colleagues in other workplaces
Working with other unions and trades councils (1 hour)
- Linking up with other local union reps through trades councils
Working with community and voluntary sector organisations (1 hour)
- Building links with the wider community
These may be combined to run as the Building links course (1/2 day)
Equality Act and equality impact assessments (1/2 day)
- A brief overview of the recent legal changes and understanding of impact assessments.
Privatisation (1/2 day)
- A brief introduction to privatisation and its detrimental effect on public services.
The Effective communications course combines most of these sessions together and may be run by your region/nation.