Sources of advice for reps dealing with personal cases – Appendix X

PCS is keen to ensure that reps are adequately supported and know where to go for advice to assist them in resolving these queries. Here are some sources of advice that reps may wish to turn to when they are dealing with a query from a member.

1. Advice sources for members

We have prepared a guidance note for members, outlining some key sources of general advice.  You may want to use some of the same resources yourself. 

These can be found here.

2. Your PCS branch officers

Within your branch, you may have access to more experienced representatives, who can assist with queries.  Your branch should send out details of who does what, including details of your branch secretary, organiser and if your branch has an equality rep or officer.

Further details on the roles of branch officers.

3. PCS group structures

The majority of branches within PCS are organised into bargaining groups.  These larger groups also have lay structures that can provide support to local representatives.

On the 'Where I work' section of the site you will find details of how your section of PCS is organised and the contact details for group officials. Several areas also have updates on current issues within their areas and guidance on dealing with personal cases.

PCS also operates several occupational associations and other similar structures, which bring together, from across different employers, members who are doing similar work.  The officers serving such structures can offer particular insight into the issues affecting these occupations. These include: public sector group, culture sector , professional and managers association and commercial sector forum. 

4. PCS headquarters

There are several central policy departments within PCS HQ that may be able to offer general advice and guidance on issues that members may bring to you.

It is important to remember that these will usually not know specifics about your employer's policies and procedures but they can offer advice on best practice and on what the law says.

Key departments include:

PCS Support Centre:

As well as covering membership database matters, the Support Centre coordinates guidance and advice on handling personal cases and oversees the PCS employment law advice scheme.  It also administers the PCS personal injury scheme.

You can contact the centre by email to or call on 020 7801 2651.

Equality Department:

The Equality department oversees the promotion of and campaigning for equality throughout PCS and beyond. They also co-ordinate the equality seminars that PCS runs each year.

Email on Or phone 020 7801 2683

Trade Union Education:

PCS runs a series of training courses to develop and support reps with the skills and knowledge they need to be more effective.  Details can be found here.

Each regional hub organises its own training programme, so contact them for further details of what is available locally.

Campaigns and communications

The campaigns and communications department are responsible for the PCS website, design and production of PCS materials and member magazines and oversee the various campaigns that PCS is involved in. 

Share PCS:

Visit PCS social sites: