Coronavirus guidance

What to do if you are affected by Coronavirus and how to get help from the union

Members will have concerns about their health and welfare, and questions about how they can protect themselves and others without losing pay.

There is information and health advice on dedicated pages on the government website, which is being updated daily.

Protecting your pay

We have been meeting with the Cabinet Office and have been pressing the need for pay protections for all staff, including in privatised areas, to take the necessary precautions if they are infected, have travelled to one of the affected areas or have flu-like symptoms. We will also be calling for full union involvement in safety planning and response teams.

Through our talks with the Cabinet Office we have secured assurances that no civil servant will suffer a pay detriment as a result of following government health advice for managing the virus. We want all employers, including those on outsourced contracts, to offer the same protections and are therefore calling for urgent talks with all employers to secure protections for staff working on outsourced, agency, zero-hours and part-time contracts.

PCS supports the TUC’s demand that every worker should be paid from day one and that no one should have to suffer a detriment as a result. By refusing to pay full paid time off or support to recover and stay away from work, employers are placing us all at risk of infection.

Health and safety at work

PCS’s health and safety reps have been given advice on what to do in their workplaces including asking to see risk assessments carried out by management and carrying out their own inspections.  Under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) regulations, the employer is legally obliged to, as far as is practically possible, reduce the risk of exposure to biological hazards amongst their staff.

Getting help

If you have any problems or questions about how the virus may affect you at work, including queries about taking time off, please contact your local PCS rep. Their contact details can be found by logging on to PCS Digital.

Share PCS:

Visit PCS social sites: